2020 ONC Annual Meeting News: The Industry Rift Over Interoperability Rules and Patient Identifier Gains Traction
The 2020 ONC Annual Meeting just wrapped, and there’s a wide-range of health data exchange and interoperability stories worthy of noting. The RosettaHealth team was on-hand at the event. Here’s a quick summary of all of the latest and greatest news.
HHS Secretary Azar Blasts Epic's 'Scare Tactics' to Drum Up Opposition to Data Sharing Rules
HHS Secretary Alex Azar blasted vocal opponents to a proposed regulation that would make it easier for patients to access their health data. Speaking at the 2020 ONC Annual Meeting, Azar said the current medical records system was "segmented" and "balkanized," which hinders patients' access to health and impacts care.
Apple, Cerner Call For Interoperability Rule Release 'Without Further Delay' Highlighting Industry Rift
Big tech giants Apple and Microsoft joined health IT vendors and health plans to meet with federal officials at the 2020 ONC Annual Meeting to voice strong support for efforts to give patients access to their health data.
Rucker: Patient Data Access, Choice is at Heart of ONC Rule
National Coordinator for HIT Don Rucker told the ONC annual meeting on Tuesday that what the agency is proposing in its rule is the transmission of patient data through the use of OAuth 2 authentication to authorize data sharing via apps.
Patient Advocates Urge Quick Release of Final Interoperability Rules
A patient advocacy group is urging federal regulators to move forward in finalizing rules that would make it easier for patients to access their own healthcare data, according to a recent letter from the Society of Participatory Medicine.
Backing for Unique Patient Identifier Picks Up Steam at ONC Conference
The health IT world is stumping for a unique patient identifier for every U.S. citizen following signs from Congress that it's open to the idea, according to this Healthcare Dive article from the ONC conference.
HIMSS Unveils the Global Consortium for eHealth Interoperability
HIMSS, HL7 International, and IHE International announced the launch of The Global Consortium for eHealth Interoperability at the 2020 ONC Annual Meeting.
Be sure to catch up on our health data exchange-related content below.
- ONC Announces Strategic Plan and Interoperability Standards Updates in Advance of Annual Meeting
- 2020 ONC Annual Meeting to Highlight Bringing the EHR to the Patient
- QHN and CORHIO Partner to Enhance Health Data Exchange Capabilities in Colorado
- New Program in Michigan to Serve as HIE for Advancing Population Health
- PODCAST: Four Innovative Use Cases for Enhancing Value for HIEs
- Michigan Health Information Network Shared Services and Great Lakes Health Connect Merge to Enhance Health Data Sharing
- Preparing for the Final ONC, CMS Interoperability Rules
- DirectTrust Triples Number of Health Data Transactions in Q3
- The Sequoia Project Advances Health Data Interoperability Mission as TEFCA Coordinator
- TEFCA Comments Point to Industry Concerns About Interoperability
- CMS Interoperability and Patient Access Rule Positive for HIEs
- Roundup of Industry Feedback on the ONC Interoperability Rule
- Information Blocking and Health Data Exchange Challenges Addressed on Capitol Hill
- What’s Next After the Second Iteration of TEFCA?
- Major EHR Vendors Reveal Their Interoperability Efforts
- Seventy-Five Percent of Hospitals Beyond Basic Level of Interoperability
- The New Definition of Healthcare Interoperability
- PODCAST: Mariann Yeager, CEO of The Sequoia Project, Discusses New Information Blocking Working Group
- Healthcare Interoperability at a Turning Point?
- The Sequoia Project’s New Working Group Focuses on Information Blocking
- Tackling Health Data Interoperability in 2019
To learn more about how RosettaHealth can assist with any health information challenges you might have, book a free consultation with one of our interoperability experts.